Thursday, August 6, 2009

Wed, Thurs,

Wed. we headed down to Lexington and Concord, Mass. We stopped and walked around Walden's Pond, then off to Louisa May Alcott's home where she wrote Little Women, then we finished the day at the Minute Man Museum where the revolutionary war started. The day was rainy and humid, but we all had umbrellas, so the weather didn't slow us down.


The minute man museum was close to closing when we arrived,but that didn't stop us from having fun. Caleigh and I hurried and "dressed" up Elliot for some photo's. Caleigh thought of the flag. "Good touch Caleigh."
We weren't able to tour the house this time, but the gift shop was full of fun toys and books for me and the kids. And on the same location was a school house the kids enjoyed looking at. I think they appreciate their own school a little more.

Here is a life size statue of Thoreau, of course I was upset with Miles for climbing on it, but I had to snap a picture first. Miles tends to want to climb whatever he sees.

Mike enjoyed Walden's Pond, and would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't forgotten his copy of the book in my purse. He wanted to read a little to the kids at the location of Henry David Thoreau's cabin. My worry was that the kids were going to walk off with all of the rocks from the rock pile. People have been adding rocks for centuries to a pile by Thoreau's cabin. Caleigh was in heaven with the collection and wanted to bring one home. But I explained what the rocks were there for and she agreed we should leave them alone. Miles and Griff were disappointed they couldn't throw them. It was a fun day, and we will bring our swim suits next time to swim in the pond.

1 comment:

Retired and Happy said...

Walden's Pond was great, it almost made me want to start writing. I can't believe how well the Park Service maintains the area with all the people that visit there.
We will have to go back and swim next time or ice fish in the winter?
It is wonderful to enjoy all the history that is in the area and there is still so much to see and do. I don't think one could ever get board.