Friday, August 1, 2008

Plan A, B and C

So last night around 6:30pm it started to rain, nothing unusual. The drops seem bigger here, but I could be wrong. So about 10 minutes into the rain, starts the lightening and thunder. Again, they seem brighter and louder here. But the fun all started when the power went out. About ten minutes after it went out one of the kids happen to look in the garage and noticed that the garage door was open and water was streaming into our garage. I couldn't believe it, we had about an inch of water making it's way to the back of our garage. Our neighborhood is on a little hill and we live at the bottom. Because it's a new neighborhood the draining system isn't quite up and running. So the water was just draining down into our drive-way (which slopes downward towards our house). Which because of the open door meant into our garage! I got the garage door down manually and went in search of my cell phone to call Mike. He said the owner had said whenever there is a power surge or outage the door opens on it's own. If one of my sweet children hadn't found it then we would have had much more water and damage done. Luckily no damage occurred.


So long story short, the funny point of this whole thing, while I am running around freaking out trying to call Mike, but I can't find the number, and trying to get Elliot to bed so I could take care of the pool now in my garage, my three "big" kids were doing their own thing. They all got their rain boots on in case the house flooded and coats in case the thunder took off the roof(their words, not mine). They also came up with plans of action. Plan A-go to Emily's (our new friends in the neighborhood) Plan B- Keep Elliot safe. and Plan-C live in a flood. After all the drama was over I found the piece of paper that Caleigh wrote all the plans on. I asked them who had come up with the plans. They all had and Caleigh had written them down. Maybe it was the release of stress, but I couldn't stop laughing, I love these kids. I wouldn't want anyone else beside me in a crisis. When we first found the water in the garage; Caleigh said to me, "Mom, you should have picked a better place to live." then when it was over and they were out splashing in the water, she said. "I love this place!"

Oh, and the power came back on at midnight. What a night!

5 comments:

Quail Ridge Travelers said...

Caleigh is so like you and her Grandmother Marie. Organized, and strong enough to take on whatever life gives her. Their actions were so sweet. Thanks for putting it on the blog, I feel like I'm near them.

Tracy said...

I love the fact that they came up with not one but three plans!!! What a great group of kids. If you look at the plans it comes down to this: A) Get out of the house and to some place safe; B) If that doesn't work, keep the baby safe; C) If all else fails - accept your circumstances! What a great reminder!

I am happy that the flooding wasn't worse. See you soon!

The Super Nerd said...

I love those three. They seem to be your greatest resource. I just think it is funny they took the time to write them down.

val said...

Wow
you guys are busy. It looks like things are going really well in NH
It's pretty cool your kids live by the beach.
That is something your kids will always remeber. We sure do miss you. But it good to see you are adjusting so well.

Quail Ridge Travelers said...

Hello Family in New Hampshire. That is so funny what the kids did. Ummmm. It is good that they were thinking of little Ellie. I love and miss you guys so much. I hope to see you soon.
Love you,
Skyler