Thursday, July 10, 2008

Travelers guide to NH

So here are a few questions answered and fun things I thought you might like to know...

1. There are not many lighening buys here. We saw alot in the midwest on the way, but not so many here. There are however a LOT of Junebugs, they are like big flies and spiders combined(in my opinion).

2. The Lobster in Maine was so good, but I don't know if I am a lobster fan. Well, I guess I should say, I liked it, but I don't know if it's worth the money to me. Plus it's my first time having lobster, so Maine lobster could taste the same at Idaho lobster, I would never know.

Fun Fact about NH.
-most people use the side door when they come to visit. So a lot of people put all their cute "welcome" stuff at that door. Our home doesn't have a side door into the house, just the garage, so this is a New England thing we won't experience. My neighbor said even the service people come to the side door.

-In the super market they don't call the cart a "cart", they call it a "carriage".

-No one has central air. Well, I guess the rich do, but most people don't. Our house even being 4 years old is without the modern day convienence. We had to go buy air conditioning units(the ugly ones that stick out your windows) when we got here. It was too hot!

-The people here have an accent. It is like a Boston accent. I am getting pretty good at imitating it. It's really funny to hear the kids use it. Today, when I was out and about, this boy was whining to his mom that he needed new shoes. I wish my kids would whine with an accent. I don't even care which one.

-In the middle of every town is a church with a steeple. It is so neat seeing all the arcitecture.

Well, that's it for now. Oh and here are a few more picks of New England

We liked the ant sculpture in this photo.

This is the building Mike will be teaching in at UNH.

4 comments:

Shannon and Family said...

Some of our neighbors have side doors as well. I discovered this last Christmas when our ward had a progessive dinner activity. We also don't have a side door so I guess we are also missing out on that luxury. I love the new beach shot of the kids feet.

Quail Ridge Travelers said...

I diffently need the feet in the water picture. It's so cute, you know that I love tootsies.

Tracy said...

I love this post -thanks for the info! I bet Elli grows up with a slight New England accent! I have never heard about the side door thing. I wonder how that tradition started. Someone knocked on my back door once and it scared the daylights out of me. I too have central air and I still have two of the ugly air conditioner units. Mine are the kind that have wheels and a hose that goes out the window. This way I can move them from room to room upstairs if I need to! Needless to say, I don't spend much time upstair during the summers. Now the big question - do you have heat?

Kata said...

so coool!