Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Air up there.





One of the neat things about Miles being in the GATE program is, they get to do a lot of extra things most kids don't get to in a regular class room. One of the things he did at the end of this school year is make a hot air balloon. They used tissue paper, which I was sceptical about, but turned out to be the perfect material. So the day they had the "launch" we arrived to school a few minutes early and the balloons started flying. Some were "duds" and didn't get very far, but one kids balloon made it out of the school yard. Hope the neighbors don't mind. I am so glad Miles got this opportunity and I know we will all remember the Hot Air balloons!

4 comments:

Tracy said...

(Hi Smiles) How fun! I have ridden in a hot air balloon (and that was a terrifying experience I should blog about sometime) but I have never built a hot air balloon - what a great adventure!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I have a Gifted Ed. endorsement, I'm curious how his program works. Is he in the GATE classes all day long? Or are there just a few that are GATE? Awesome! What a smart boy.
Tres

Laura said...

The GATE program Miles is in is all day long. You have to test into the program. The kindergarten teachers try to "catch" the kids they think would benefit from it. There are three classes at his school and they combine different grades. So Miles actually was in class with second graders. But, each child works at his own pace. Our new school won't have this program so I am hoping he will do fine to go back to a more traditional learning style.

Anonymous said...

I hope so too. Good luck, it sounds like you have a lot to look forward to right now.
Love ya,
Tres