Friday, January 28, 2011

Miles, Caleigh and The Bee

Miles and Caleigh both won their classroom spelling bees, which put them in the school spelling bee. I had been bugging them all week to practice and study their words, but they just didn't want to. So I wasn't really expecting much on Friday when they had the school bee.



Hilariously the microphone was inches above Caleigh's head, but she and Miles both made it past round one.
Miles got out in round two with the word, "Auburn." Oh, well, good try, Miles.

Caleigh kept going round after round, until....


There were two left. Caleigh and a 6th grader! I thought for sure the word, "Sashay" would have gotten her out, in a previous round but she was still in it.
Her final word was Suffrage and she spelled it S-u-f-f-e-r-a-g-e. Darn! She was so close. The support from the other 4th graders was so wonderful. So many came up to her and Miles after and told them they did a good job. I was a little emotional at the end. I was so proud of my twins, and especially at my shy little Caleigh. What a brave girl she was to get up there. Honestly I don't think she was nervous at all. She was disappointed she didn't win. There's always next year!









4 comments:

Quail Ridge Travelers said...

Second against sixth graders, way to go Caleigh. Miles you did an awsome job too. You're both winners. Hugs, Grandma, and Grandpa Peterson.

Titus Fam said...

Wow Cal! Way to go! You too Miles. How do you spell PROUD?

Retired and Happy said...

that is so neat we are so proud of both of you. You have accomplished something I always wanted to do but they didn't have them in my school. Congratulations! Love ya!

Tracy said...

Wow - I would have been so nervous I wouldn't have been able to spell anything! I am so impressed. Congrats to both of them :)