Thursday, September 17, 2009

My name is MUD.

"What did you learn from this Laura?" Mike had that cute sympathetic-but-your-a-dork look in his eye.
He, with the help of 5 UNH students had just gotten my van unstuck from the side of the road. Where I had effortlessly gotten it stuck in 12 inches of mud/water.
To the passer-byer it looked like solid lawn that had freshly been watered. Which is why I chose it to pull over in. Elliot, as a sign of her independence, had crawled out of her seat belt and was standing up in her car seat. When I pulled over, I did notice the car was tilting slightly more to the right than any normal car should, but I wasn't worried until I tried to pull back onto the road and my tires just spun. Reversing caused the same effect, spinning tires. Cursing, I called Mike and told him to come and help. With him behind the wheel (he had his nice clothes on) and me pushing, we managed to get the old van moving. But Mike couldn't get it to turn left or right, and it just went forward, dragging grass, mud, and my hopes with it.
At this point triple A would have to be involved. Luckily 5 UNH students stopped and asked if they could help. Never mind the two joggers who passed by us. Wouldn't you think pushing a car would help you get fit? Apparently they were going for the "long and lean" look.
Back to the story. The 5 boys all got behind the car and "ta-da" my car sprung from its muddy messy spot.
I feel bad about the damage we left behind. But it's not like we were Joy-riding. Although the kids did have a blast!

3 comments:

Mike said...

OK, I know how this looks. Yes, I was behind the wheel while my wife was pushing, but I was wearing my fancy pants and a silk tie (on my way to a stake meeting in Exeter), and Laura really is much stronger than I am, so it just worked out better this way.

The Crazy Heads said...

Way to go. Only you Laura, only you!!!!! You should have a camera in your car at all times for when things like this happen. Document things girl with photos!

Melissa said...

I am so glad someone stopped to help! And that Mike was available to come! It sounds like such a friendly town!