Monday, December 8, 2008

It's a Wonderful Life

I have a confessions... I have never liked the movie, "It's a wonderful Life." But as we went downtown for the tree lighting ceremony I was reminded of the small town in which is takes place. And as we stood around enjoying our FREE hot chocolate and cookies, I was happy. I do have a wonderful life.

We ran into the missionaries and Elder Childs gravitated towards the camera. I think they were there for the FREE hot chocolate and cookies.

There was some musical numbers and Santa arrived, lights and sirens, on a fire Engine. Pretty cool. Of course Miles and Caleigh ran the other way, but Griff had to get in there. Miles and Caleigh came around when they saw the candy canes.







By the end of the ceremony my Friend Emily and I were comparing our town to "Stars Hallow" from the series "Gilmore Girls." We definitely have an "Al's Pancake world" but no "Luke's Diner." And there are a lot of "Kirks" walking around.

5 comments:

val said...

I love that movie. I always watch it when I wrap presants. You do everything. I am such a home body. It looks like so much fun. I have to go make some hot cocoa right now. I love reading your blog. thanks.

Mike said...

This is Laura’s romanticized version of what happened. Their was a choir there, two of which were drunk and wearing overalls, lip-synching to what sounded like a Soul Train Christmas album. The tree was lopsided and propped up by a traffic cone with one strand of lights draped over it. Our family was half the crowd. I think had we not shown up they would have just flipped the switch and gone back to the bar. The highlight of the event wasn’t when Santa arrived in a fire truck with his wig falling off, but when an ambulance sped by with its sirens on. After the kids were done oohing and aahing, I had to explain that it wasn’t part of the tree-lighting ceremony. I’m sure the poor patient in the back of ambulance was sucking on his oxygen thinking, “what are they doing to that poor tree?”

The Crazy Heads said...

Looks like you guys had so much fun, you guys are lucky to have so much fun things going on in your town.

Emily said...

Mike, you take all the romance out! Leave the writing to Laura! Though, very funny. And it's nice to be reminded that Laura is an optimist. Optomist? Optometrist? Whatever...

So...for those of us who don't know, what is up with your brother-in-law's eyes? Everytime I open my google reader I jump and grimace!

;-)

Laura said...

Don't let Mike fool you, he had a great time!
And Val, we NEVER would have done these things in Boise. It's so much easier to do town things, when the town is no bigger than most of the Boise/Meridian wards. Plus "downtown" is only 30 seconds away and there is always parking. And I doubt Boise would hand out FREE hot chocolate and cookies. Maybe?

In regards to Matt's eyes, he had to have plastic surgery on them. They were extra droopy from his Narpalepcy (sp?) and now he can see! And Insurance paid for it! I wish my insurance would pay for a tummy tuck.