Thursday, December 30, 2010

My little reader

Elliot has been fascinated with learning her letters lately. She points them out where ever we go. So I decided, since I have nothing going on during the day, that I would teach her to read. I wasn't that hopeful, she's only 3 (until Jan. 3rd, then she'll be 4). But I thought it was worth a try. After all, she is the one who keeps bringing it up!
We broke out Griffin's hooked on Phonics set, and got to work on learning all of her letters and sounds. She picked up on them pretty quickly (she still confuses a few.) I even enlisted the kids help asking them to point out letters when they read to her books. They were more than happy to help.
And I'm happy to report tonight, she read her first words!!! I was so proud of her. She read cat, hat, pat, mat, sat, fat (which made her giggle), and rat. Then she read a story: Cat. Rat. Cat sat. Rat sat. Cat, sat, sat, sat. Rat, sat, sat, sat. Fat, fat, cat. Fat, fat, rat.

I have a feeling she's been able to read for years, she's just humoring me by starting at the beginning.





3 comments:

Tracy said...

Ahhhhh!!! That is great that she is willing to humor you by starting with fat cats and rats. Congrats Elli!

Titus Fam said...

Way to go Ells!

The Crazy Heads said...

That is awesome!!! What a little smarty pants you have. Thank goodness you send her clothes our direction, maybe they can rub off on Liv.