Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A reason to blog.

I think I've mentioned before that my blog is our family journal. Which is why I try to keep it updated and FULL of details. We don't want any memories to slip by us. I'm excited to say, a few months ago I completed my first blog book. My kids have already poured over the pages for hours. They love seeing themselves and reliving all of our adventures. I'm in the process of working on 2009's book. I am using Snapfish for 2009, but 2008 was done with blurb. Here's a review of my experience with blurb and snapfish (so far).

Blurb.com gives you a program called "booksmart" which you download onto your computer. Once you have that program you simply put in your blog address and which dates you want (ex: from Jan 1st 2008-Dec. 31st 2008). Then it will auto flow your blog into a book. You then have control to add a background, change the font, colors, and rearrange your pictures. I found the whole process a not difficult but a little frustrating. I had to go through all of my Journaling and center the titles and change the size and what not. Plus there is a large supply of backgrounds and designs, but I didn't LOVE any of them. They were not very modern, or scrapbook looking. Also the program "booksmart" seemed to be the cause of my computer suddenly becoming very sluggish. In the end, I loved my book, but I won't use blurb again. Oh, and the price was around $60 not bad.










I am in the process of using snapfish to create my 2009 book. I think it has been a lot quicker, but snapfish isn't set up for blog books, which means, I am cutting and pasting all of my Journaling directly from my blog. That sounds time consuming, but really has been pretty easy. Also I had to upload all of my photos to the program, but still I didn't mind. It has really been going quicker than my other book. So the bad of going this route, my book is already up to $118, Yikes! I did go with the 12x12 book, much bigger than my blurb book. But still, yikes! I'm hoping there will be a coupon or something when I get the book completed.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I have been wanting to make a book for a long time. Thanks for all the details. How is the quality of the photos in the printed book?

Triessa said...

Sweet!! I have two year's worth of books created with Blurb.com as well! Ditto on the whole family journal thing. We are following the counsel given to us by journaling, (and we aren't crazy facebookers!). ha ha

The Crazy Heads said...

I love that you blog too Laura, just so we can keep tabs on you!

Quail Ridge Travelers said...

Wow no more scrapbooking, I am read for that.

Retired and Happy said...

I love the book and can't wait to see it. You will have to show me when you come.

Titus Fam said...

AWESOME. Good for you. One day I will get mine done. Remember how it was going to be ready for last Christmas??? oops. I'm so proud of you.