Thursday, March 12, 2009

Mo money...Mo problems.


We started a new allowance system with the kids. $2.00 a week when they do their chores, homework, and piano without complaint.

I never had a traditional allowance when I was a kid. I do remember every summer my mom would make a giant "chart of chores" we could do for money. Like mow laws $1.oo clean bathroom .35 cents. It was great to earn money as a kid.


Its fun to see the different way my kids see money. Caleigh and Griffin are savers, there in it for the long haul. But Miles gets his money and wants to spend it instantly. Ex: Caleigh has been saving up for a littlest pet shop house (I found it for $10.oo somewhere and have been making her save up to buy it from me.) And she was two dollars short, well as soon as Miles got his allowance for the week, he asked if he could give it to Caleigh so she could buy her toy. She even let him play with it for a few hours (a rare event with Caleigh. We all know, survival 101 with Caleigh: never touch her Littlest Pet Shops). You would think Miles is such a sweet boy, he is, but in this case Caleigh provided him with an opportunity to spend his money instantly.


Now their stats are this:

Miles $0.00 (wondering where his next kids meal is coming from. Oh, I stopped buying kids meals when we go out, their allowance has to cover that now.)

Caleigh $0.00 (but I think she's hiding some money).

Griffin $ 31.03 (he's saving up for a Wii game.)

5 comments:

Tracy said...

I love it. Miles and I would have a mighty fine time together. Saving wasn't something I learned to do until my 30's!

The Crazy Heads said...

MY GOODNESS.Those are all good ideas. I make my kids buy stuff from me too. I think it teaches them a good lesson.

Retired and Happy said...

Good lessons. Did you add the tithing in for them. That will really throw MIles off. But at least he could spend it instantly. Tell the kids we are proud of them they are doing a good job.

Mike said...

I have a feeling we'll all be owing Griffin money some day. I think he inherited some of that good Italian money sense.

val said...

My kids are spenders. They take after Miles. They were always losing track of there loot, so I now keep a tally on my big chalk board.